SDGs Teaching Resources
SDG 8: Decent Work and Economic GrowthPromote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Use one or more of the Generation Global resources to teach about this SDG in your learning community. Select the resource you would like to use to learn more:
Schedule a live dialogue
Assign a self-paced online lesson
Download latest stats and facts
Teach in-person activities
Tips and examples for aligning this SDG with your class:
- Use dialogue to make real life connections between the content and subject you teach and what young people are experiencing regarding the issue.
- Use Dialogue as an activity that you come back to at key moments of a project to revisit the topic from various points of view and to reflect. For example, you might want to enter a dialogue on the subject before you teach a project, to help learners get personally connected, then host another dialogue at the end to help them explore what was learned and any new ideas that have come from the experience.
- Use data and facts about a topic only as a catalyst for the dialogue, not in the dialogue itself. Be sure to allow learners the space to bring their own personal experiences into the conversation and to explore instead of debating an issue.
Evaluate data on youth unemployment and the future of work from the OECD with learners. Book a video conference on the Future of Work topic to explore how this issue impacts youth from round the world.
Research how STEM careers impact society and the economy. Use the activity ‘Where in the World’ from the Wealth and Poverty resource to make connections between STEM related industry, globalization and the impact on learners own lives.
Have learners complete the Future of Work topic on the Ultimate Dialogue Adventure. Work to develop a timeline of the evolution of work in their own countries and the world then discuss in class how this has impacted their future careers as young adults.
Provide learners with a vocabulary list of terms for work and economic growth ask them to use the words in spoken format through an in-class dialogue. Practice using the words using the ‘Sharing our ideas’ activity plan from the Essentials of Dialogue.
Additional external activities and resources:
- World is “well off track” to achieve SDG 8, new ILO research finds - International Labour Organization - https://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo/newsroom/news/WCMS_894138/lang--en/index.htm
- UNU-WIDER MOOC on SDG 8: Is economic growth enough? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln48KjXlI2w
- UN Etxea ODS 8 - Trabajo decente y crecimiento económico (SDG 8 - Decent Work and Economic Growth) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVQRrxwkaQ
- Asia Society Center for Global Education - SDG 8 Project Planning - https://asiasociety.org/sites/default/files/inline-files/08_UN_SDG_DecentWorkandEconomicGrowth_FINAL.pdf
- A Fair Share: A simulation game for 7-14 year olds exploring tax - OXFAM - https://oxfamilibrary.openrepository.com/handle/10546/620567
- 170 Actions to Transform the World - United Nations - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iMdE6DLLuCqwq3K9U-DaTUWB6KyMa8QG/view